View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Sabre Ready!

Send a message via AIM to Panther Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseSoldier View Post
The Russians have been saying that since about the moment US forces made it through to 74 Easting . . . I'm not sure how much I buy the claims, to be honest (and I'm definitely not part of the US or NATO uber alles crowd) -- that information seems to have been loudly distributed by the Russians after their market share took a huge hit after 91, not from technical intelligence analysis, though I may be wrong on that.
Indeed, until 74 Easting, the T72 was the hottest seller the Russians had, post 74 Easting, they had hard times giving them away. Now, to be fair, the Russians have a point: The ones the Iraqi's had was really second class versions of them: The later T72's, with all the bells and whistles, are in fairness decent tanks. Equal to first line western tanks? No, but more than adequate for most uses. Especially since they are cheap. When you get right to it, the T90 is the Russian response to that battle. The T90 is nothing more than an very upgraded T72 - some things I have read is that more than a few of the T90's floating about are rebuilt 72's.

If I was a country that needed a tank arm, one that had a fair chance of facing down modern western tanks, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the T72 if I couldn't afford western tanks myself. Of course, part of the savings would go towards quantity, but most would go to training. I really do think, that a topflight T72/90, with a crew that has trained as hard and as well as a topflight western tank crew, can give a good accounting of themselves - within reason of course.

Proud fan(atic) of the CV90 Series.