View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 02:24 PM

I think that the first wargame (in the full sense of the term) was Omaha Beachhead, of Avalon's Hill. An hex-map game designed at the battalion level. My second experience was with Command Decision and, tough I think it's a great game, by the time we played it I thought that it needed too much previous work. Funny think, in the present day I can spend months doing research and writing a new campaign. About Command Decision, a quarterly magazine was published titled "Command Post". All the fanatics of the ORBAT's (my first mysterious acronym discovered in this forum) will find detailed lists of armies from WWI to the present day.

A little OT: Now it can sound strange, but in 1992 (when I purchased Command Decision) only a couple of stores exists in Barcelona specifically covering the world of roleplaying games and wargames. And the material was mostly published in English. Of course,thanks to internet I had access to great materials that were never published in Spain. Then I realized about the large extension that this world had reached long before the 90's in the US. Now I have gigabytes of material obtained by...shhhhhhtttt... those magical methods... thanks to people that wished to share information that I should never be able to get.