View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehale1971 View Post
Brad Thor's "Athena Project" is a good read... it's about an extremely topsecret fourth squadron of delta force that is made up of all female operations teams. The storyline in the first book of the series ("The Athena Project" deals with things dealing with matter transporters that the Nazi's had been doing getting into the hands of bad guys) shows the kinds of jobs women in special ops are perfect to carry out, and gives a long list of all the reasons for such team using all women, and touches on some of the downsides as well. If i could loan it out on knidle i'd be willing to loan it so everyone could get a chance to read it.
I just finished Athena Project...pretty decent read. My nitpicks? I'd wish there'd been a bit more in-depth characterization, especially with how they dealt with the lives they led on a regular basis. Of course, just more details in general with the other characters, the settings, etc. would have been really nice, but hey, that's just me.

But overall, not bad. The author does a pretty decent job of summing up why these female operators would actually excel at some of the jobs they handle, and why their immense attractiveness turns out to be quite an advantage in some cases. Let's face it...in most countries and in general, men tend to underestimate women and typically don't see them as a threat. Combine that with the fact that most men will typically go ga-ga, drool, want to show off and do stupid things around a gorgeous woman, and it's all a matter of time before that exotic, nearly 6 foot stunner who's wearing a short revealing evening dress and wowing all the boys suddenly pulls out a suppressed Glock 19 and puts two rounds in your chest, another in your head, and you're dead.

The subplot with the Nazi wunderwaffe experiments and Quantum theory was rather interesting as well...
"The use of force is always an answer to problems. Whether or not it's a satisfactory answer depends on a number of things, not least the personality of the person making the determination. Force isn't an attractive answer, though. I would not be true to myself or to the people I served with in 1970 if I did not make that realization clear."
— David Drake