View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Sabre Ready!

Send a message via AIM to Panther Al

Exactly.

A heavy, say around 70t, to be the mainline sort of unit that does the bulk of the in your face fighting.

A medium, say around 30t, in supporting roles where the heavier units are at a disadvantage, and is somewhat more mobile than the first, without giving up too much on firepower and armour. CV90 Family would work well, with the same broad based spectrum of vehicles filling every role in the division being all based on the same armoured chassis.

A lighter, rapid deployment capable force: The sort that can be airlifted at a moments notice to provide a little firepower and mobility to the traditional Para units, but whose mission is more akin to speed bump than anything else. Like the others, All based on the same chassis, though in this case an Armoured Car of around 15-20t is about right.

Furthermore:

I would do the same for softskins as well. I generic 1 to 3t chassis to fill the roles the Humvee does, a 3-7t chassis to serve as your typical cargo truck, and a 7 to 15t to serve as both a basis for the heavy trucks, but as a basis for the above mentioned armoured cars as much as possible (Wheels, engine, that sort). In all cases, minimize parts diversity as much as practicable. Hatches, for example should be the same on all armoured vehicles, same with seats and vision blocks, and down to engine parts and such like. If a Family of engines all using at its heart the same design, ranging from 200hp for the 2t light truck, 400 for the 5t trucks (Turbocharge to get 600 for the 8t trucks), 800 for the 12t trucks, Armoured cars, and Medium Armoured Vehicles, and 1600t for the heavy tracked vehicles, this would be perfect. Anything that could reduce the unique parts count would be taken. In the end, you get a easier, more streamlined system, where costs to stock and supply parts would be a lot cheaper, and training to maintain would also be cheaper, and easier - not to mention having the ability to pull techs from one type of unit to the other when needed to arrange for a maintenance push.

Obviously, this is something I have put a lot of thought into over the years. I've been toying around with various ways to restructure forces into forms that would have minimal logistical tails for a long while: down to figuring out how much ammo a soldier has on him, to how much baggage will weigh, how much ammo, food, and water is stored on various trucks, and how many trucks would be needed to support such.. etc, etc, etc....

Proud fan(atic) of the CV90 Series.

Last edited by Panther Al; 10-16-2011 at 01:14 PM.