View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo80 View Post
I was recently listening to a broadcast of the "Glen Beck Show". I am not going to discuss the pro's and con's of his particular political views.

One of his advertisers was Food Insurance. I read some about them. They provide freeze dried foods for survival.

Here comes the questions:

Freeze Dried vs. M.R.E's

Which would YOU buy? Why? Have you already bought?

So far my "stash" of survival food has been things like soups and stews that can be eaten straight from the can without heating. Granted, warm soup or stew would REALLY taste good during a survival situation...However you might not want the neighbors to know you have food, water, fire, etc....

I am interested in reading what you have to write... I am looking to expand my "stash" for longer term survival.

My $0.02

Mike
IMHO, MREs would be the better way to go, if you can get military surplus. The so called "civilian" MREs claim to use the same items from military MREs and they do, to a certain extent, but their menu selection is very limited and I've never been happy with their quality control (an MRE with three beef stew entrees and a plastic fork comes to mind). With military MREs you would also get the flameless ration heater which would be useful in a situation where the neighbors are a concern.

Having said all of the above, it is also not a bad idea to very your selection (some Mountain Home items for example), a few canisters of long-term storage wheat or rice, powdered eggs, perhaps a few pounds of jerky and dried fruit, soup mixes (perhaps even ole Raman noodles for that brown, salty water taste), one of the drawbacks of any military ration is that after a few weeks, you become very familiar with every menu item (often quoting them in your sleep), so any change would be welcome.

Living in hurricane country (and having been raised in a Mormon household), not to mention being a vet; I've always maintained a stock of emergency food supplies; a dozen cases of military MREs; three cases of civilian MREs (left overs from Katrina); 5lb canisters of wheat, rice, dried fruit;about 40lbs of jerky in vacuum bags; not to mention canned foodstuffs (every time my wife swings by Sam's Club, she buys another case or three), all told, its enough to keep five people alive for about six months.

Hope this helps!