Thread: Mexico
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Gun Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
In my last campaign I had intended to follow the Traveller 2300 timeline, with MilGov and CivGov peacefully reamalgamating with elections recognised by both sides held in 2020 (IIRC).

I think it makes perfect sense for MilGov to continue with their emergency rule and a state of martial law for decades if that is what they deem as necessary for maintaining control of the nation and getting the ball rolling in the recovery effort. It's a more difficult situation for CivGov because much of their legitimacy is tied to the pre-war political and democratic process. I'm sure CivGov's leaders would prefer not to have to go through the bother of a census and elections but that would effectively turn them into another (somewhat less powerful) version of MilGov.
20 years of split rule and cold civil war might have something to do with the, what, third French Empire? I think my game is going feature a hot civil war giving the PCs the opportunity to throw their weight behind either faction, and push it over the top if they play their cards right. 'Course my twilight war starts in 2012 with a couple decades of extra political polarization.