View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post

SNIPPED

For them to sit on their hands while the U.S. reinforces its position in Europe just seems very un-Soviet. We're talking about a nightmare scenario here for the Soviets- once again, Germany is playing the aggressor and making itself a clear and present danger to the security of Mother Russia. In fact, with their forces stretched thin in Europe and scattered all over east and central Asia, I could even see the Soviets resorting to the nuclear option earlier than they did in the T2K timeline- in fact, nearly as soon as U.S. forces cross the frontier into East Germany.
I agree with this whole heartedly. While nobody wanted to unleash the genie, I think the Soviets would not wait until the horde was at their border to do so. WMD were always a part of their tactical doctrine of the time in western Europe from what I've read since the wall went down, and we always assumed the case when I served in Germany as well as later. Better to use the nukes to disrupt the attack on GERMAN soil, or Polish, than Mother Russian soil. But that is not what the designers wanted I guess.