Thread: Belize
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
If you are going for realism, methanol production will not work as it does in the game. While it makes for interesting gameplay it is not possible given chemical and biological restrictions. I still cringe a bit whenever i see someone mention it in a discussion of large scale post apocalyptic logistics. I understand it counters canon, but to me it is actually less realistic than zombies.
That definitely bears repeating, Kato. Thanks for the reminder of those important discussions on methanol. In T2K ethanol is the only viable alcohol fuel option, and that most likely means a conflict with food production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic
You know, it is just a game.
It's not meant to be a hardcore, realistic, survival simulator.

Nobody would have even started playing RPGs if D&D was "realistic", (with all that xenophobia, bigotry, religious persecution, disease, famine, warfare, primitive medicine, primitive science, fear of the unknown, fear of travellers, fear of loners, indentured servitude, unhealthy living conditions, even less healthy work conditions etc. etc. of the "real" medieval European world - no chance the real world of that time will let people game out their own personal empowerment fantasies)
Over the years I ended up playing more Harnmaster than D&D. And Harnmaster, if run as intended by the designers, is generally fairly depressing. For all the reasons outlined above by SSC.