View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 10:08 AM

Default Adventure/Campaign seed

Mail Delivery Service.

Here’s another idea for this thread. This seed could be useful as a campaign or as an adventure idea and can be easily situated in any part of the Twilight world, with independence of the timeline used. The playing characters, some of theme with military experience, have constituted a kind of association for the delivery of messages and packets for a pay. And they live for what they manage to get from this work. The name of the company could be something similar to “Anderson, Àvila, Pokrosky and Associates, Package and Mail delivery”. If thought as a campaign, the group could be a group of enterprising veterans, who, for one reason or another, are now free of their military obligations towards their respective armies. Perhaps they have decided that the war is over for them and that is about time to take care about themselves and try to survive at their own. My idea is not as like what was depicted in “The Postman”, the David Brine’s book. So, I prefer the characters not to be devoted to community as a public service. Instead, I prefer them to be some kind on independent, neutral group with a clear and unmistakable motto: “We always deliver the mail”

If conceived as a campaign, I think that the GM must begin choosing an interesting geographical area with different and sometimes confronted communities. An area with cantonments, warlords, independent farmers, etc, could be interesting. The initial area could be limited in extension, but with open possibilities to extent the mail service to other territories if the group succeeds.

Ideally, the discretion, safety, neutrality and integrity of the service could provide interesting and assorted missions from different customers. And this qualities would be the best guarantees for the company for not to fall under the boot of an annoyed and powerful customer, perhaps a warlord angry because an important message not delivered or because the suspicion that the rivals are using the company for their own messages. So, the group will be walking in the grey, narrow and not often clear line of the “neutrality”.

For this campaign to be possible, the customers must think that their messages and packages are more secure with “Anderson, Àvila, Pokrosky and associates” that with their own people. So one of the goals of the campaign is to work to get this image. From the first, easy contracts issued by common villagers to the desperate agent whose only choice is to rely in the services offered by the characters to send a vital message. The best weapons: a good information network, discrete methods to contact with the costumers, local knowledge of the area…

The group could elaborate a price list depending of the assignment, the size and weight of the package and the way to deliver it and the danger of the possible route…And of course, the number of special and strange delivers that a GM can arrange has no limits.
Well, I know that this campaign could have some unrealistic features, but it could be funny anyway. It can be as open as you want and, with time and good work, perhaps your group (perhaps against its own will) ends playing a major role in the balance of power of a region. A different campaign for the Twilight:2000 environment.

As a alternative, you can introduce a mail delivery grop like the one depicted above as a NPCs, working in the same area where your players are living.

Last edited by Marc; 02-17-2009 at 04:50 AM.