View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 02:20 AM

I have a couple of suggestions:

Opening Moves by Colin Gee.
A rather chunky book set just after the end of WWII in Europe, positing that the Soviet response to the Manhattan Project is to fuel up the T34s and start rolling Westward beyond the Elbe. So it pits the Red Army against British and American forces in Europe. I have to say, this didn't grab me at all - it is written in the "Red Storm Rising" manner but character development is pretty lacklustre and the author seems to be writing up AARs from some wargame campaign. There is a whole series of these under the "Red Gambit" label.

The Red Effect by Harvey Black
This is a much slimmer volume and is set in 1983 - again the story is told from viewpoints on both sides of the Iron Curtain (doesn't that expression just leave you nostalgic for what seems a simpler time and place?) in the period leading up to WWIII. I was again a bit disappointed with this book - it is only 255 pages long and ends just as the action starts - I felt a bit short changed. But what is there is done fairly well - apparently it is the first of a trilogy.