Thread: Tires and meds
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
I've always consider tires to be a problem for the project long term.

Short term I agree with the posters here that some method might have been determined for long term storage. They may only expect the team to sleep for 5 years but they expect the vehicles to have a much longer lifespan and tires (esp on rough terrain found after the war) would need to be replaced quite often.

Since a vehicle without a tire is pretty useless, what can the project do to mitigate a long term tire issue.

I had the following thoughts

1) Reengineering all tires. Increase the durability perhaps by adding an internal runflat support and using much more durable materials.

2) Some sort of modular tires. Perhaps tires with a tough but flexible core and replaceable treads

3) Standardizing the tires as few rim configurations as possible or allowing for flexibility in attachment points.

I did some research on the number of different tires used by the US millitary and the number was staggering. I know the canon game has only a few different vehicle systems but some type of generic flexible tire concept could streamline logistics and perhaps keep more prewar vehicles moving with project replacement tires (assuming the project worked as planned)

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Another Poster reminded us the 5ton truck is the donor for many of the parts and assemblies for the V-150. Tires, rims, drive train, transmission, axles, steering box, probably more.

The M8 Greyhound had liquid rubber (so I have read) that would fill in bullet holes.

Currently as an option on Skid steers the tire can be filled with a foaming compound that hardens and fills the volume. The tire is then "air free" and punctures no longer matter.

So a combination of filling the tire void with a hard foam core replacement, and a chemical mix that is tougher wearing.

How about a vulcanizing system at a regional support base? A tire grinder chews up any tires civilian, commercial, or military and under heat melts them down. This molten mix is injected into a form and new tires made.

Thus, the project could reclaim tires, and make new tires for Project vehicles and probably common tires for commercial tractor trailers and common car sizes to get police, fire trucks, and ambulances back on the road.