View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlion1 View Post
I'm going to go with there only being A-Teams put into cryo with the expectation of B & C-Teams being drawn from surviving military personel after the nuclear strikes. This is partly to minimize the number of Green Specops types going missing, hence causing people to ask where they are but also to minimize the number of hidden Snake Eater Bolt Holes being placed. As for the Snake Eater installations I do kind of expect there to have a semi-permanent installation set aside for themselves. One is the sheer amount of gear they will be expected to maintain and be issued. And two if they wake up and the location above them is a radioactive hellhole! There going to need a place to operate out from!
I am going to use a Nike Missile Base as a example for a hidden Snake Eater location, mostly because I once crawled through one and have a idea of how big the underground section is. I figure a garage using a ramp to get at least two lightweight jeeps out of it, or maybe using one of the missile silo doors and a crane to get them out to reduce the footprint. A large amount of ammunition for the Snake Eaters weapons and any extra weapons set aside fo any resistance or law enforcement force they feel they might need to arm, six to twelve cryopods, six to twelve bunks, a section set aside for medical needs, and a latrine off to the side. Now it wouldn't be permanent but would be good to operate out of in the case of high radiation, a place to rest and recuperate and handle medical needs, a place to maintain vehicles and weapons and could easily be hidden after a few years of the terrain above it being grown over. Entry is by one of the silo doors or a hatch with a ladder.
Separate caches, not unlike Morrow supply caches would also be hidden but behind or within public works, things that the Snake Eaters could easily find and could be set up in plain sight. Who would believe the roadwork laying in a new pipeline by the side of the road is in reality a pipeline containing a cache of firearms and ammunition?

Wow, I essentially just reiterated myself, didn't I?
I think B teams are a necessity. Lets look at an A team for a second. It is 12 men and can be broken into two teams of six with the Captain leading one, and the Master Sergeant leading the other. This can happen because the other jobs that are E7, E6, and E5 are doubled with a primary and secondary. One is senior to the other, thus there would be an E7 (SFC) weapons sergeant and and E5 weapons sergeant, same for intel, medic, engineer, commo.

B teams don't hold to the 12 man rule, and can be up to 40+ personnel. The B Teams are generally staffed with more senior personnel mostly E7s waiting for an E8 slot to open for example. The B team assists the A Teams in other ways such as highly trained in a specialty. Let us use the weapons sergeant as an example. An SF weapons sergeant is expected to be expert in all U.S. and Allied individual weapons and company level crew served weapons. They can fire them, zero them for qualification, train others to use them, and maintain them at the armorers level. Maintenance at the armorers level is pretty basic, mostly remove and replace, with a little bit on drifting sights or honing a trigger. The weapons sergeant in the B team has spent time on one or more A teams gaining vast operational knowledge, then was selected for a civilian gunsmithing school and various schools put out by weapons manufacturer. Thus the E7 or E8 weapons sergeant can do more than the A team weapons sergeant because he is trained to manufacture parts.

This applies to commo where the B team radio operator is also capable of diagnosing problems on a circuit board then repairing same. A B team medic has been through the teams then, gone on to complete a Masters degree and become Physicians Assist.

The B teams back fill A teams until a replace can be trained up from SF qualifications and also assists A teams in their civil liaison, intel missions, or training locals to be the militias or CIDGs by providing more experienced and trained personnel to assist.

As for SF people disappearing......... SF doesn't advertise their missions, so outside the community, nobody is going to know. As for the Army complaining all its SF assets are dwindling; in the 90s the big Army mafias (Airborne, Infantry, and Armor) were against SF because the SF was stealing their best top 5%. The 4 Stars don't really like SF and how it operates because the rest of big Army doesn't work that way.

The SF community more than any other has a tendency for personnel to retire outside the U.S. Easy to recruit persons who are "retired" from active service because they are past 20 years or medically retired.

I wouldn't be using any facilities like a Nike missile silo simply because with the sheer numbers of missiles available in 1989 there is bound to be some targeting that location.

A teams jobs are out there with the people so I am not including a live in facility but rather several caches in large and small sizes to both assist survivors and arm the populace against soviet invasion. B teams will have a live in facility with room to house several A teams at once (bay style) and facilities to repair and maintain equipment. This isn't going to be on a federal installation or downwind of one either. Probably going to be located beneath a facility inside a national park, national forest, or a wildlife preserve with an expectation that any base, fort, depot, warehouse, facility, or other designated federal property is going to be hit atleast once at a minimum.

In the supplemental Morrow Project story found on the Rogue 417 CD the nuclear exchange is know to take place over a period of months with Denver taking the last, and for the third time, nuclear impact.