Thread: Ammo reloading
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 12:32 PM

Default very interesting 90mm facts

I know that the 105 mm tank gun shell casings in our battalion were collected and shipped to the factory again .Maybe for melting down ,but I would imagine that a check up like a visual inspection and or x ray could determine if the shell could be re used .

As you say -the "powder mill " that is the first step on the munitions ladder in Gen Pains (and my )N work is a 1750 ish set up -the first shop that can make modern large caliber rounds sort of a early industrial revolution shop combined with those guys with their 90mm reloading operation .(awesome).

I think some kind of production facility could be made -look to the tribal areas of Afghanistan and what they make there.And their tools and raw materials are primitive in comparrison .

Making a heat charge instead of a hesh or he charge isnt really that more complicated -but I think that having a production plant in it self is .

You need :
raw materials
know how/ experts
machinery and parts

someone to feed ,look after and guard the factory etc etc .

Still -I think it could be done by improvisation -at least machining and manufacturing the simpler types of ammo .But say that the the machines to improvise and do it were there ,but that only one or two guys were proficient, there is your bottleneck .Also raw materials dry up ,machines get broken.

I would give it poorer stats though ,and increase risk of dangerous malfunction/misfires ,wear to the gun etc .

I wouldnt say that 4000 x 5.56 is 1 x 120 mm at round .The machinery is just two different ballparks. For the record I recon I could do 200 5.56 with a 2 stage press in one day if I had the time or the inlination.