View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 11:01 PM

Why would the KFS know anything about what was inside the boltholes? "Hmm, a big, shiny thing we dug up from a hill. Let's use it as part of the foundation for our new hydroelectric dam." Or for that matter, just flip it upside-down and wait for it to open on its own.

If you have this process (temporal inertia messes up the bolthole schedule), what about the various other groups (Rich Five, Frozen Chosen, Snake Eaters) who are also canonically "frozen"?

I haven't seen American Outback, but I do like the radioactive decay issue. For my current campaign, the equivalent to "Snake Eaters" only have cryogenic berths ... they don't have fusion reactors, lasers, or any other Morrow anachronistic tech stuff.

The government hoped these teams would only need to be frozen for a decade at most; in any case, the only "entirely self-contained" power supply that could operate the cryogenic capsules for a decade or more were radioisotope thermoelectric generators, with a half-life of about 80 years. The teams had to be placed where a possible nuclear war, meteor strike, or other massive-damage scenario wouldn't damage them.

After about two half-lives, power available is below 20% of the initial output, and the Snake Eater bolt holes start automatically awakening their occupants.

--
Michael B.