View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother in Arms
What about blow up montpelier as a show of military force? Just destroy the capitol completely there really is nothing good there worth taking.
Even with suspending disbelief at the scenario, I'd say that would be out of the question. For that matter I'm still having difficulty thinking about suggestions as they would have to be very hard pressed to carry out the thing in the first place. But here goes some...

JTF would be sent in first for covert intelligence gathering, leadership elimination, and sabotage (they are our SAS/Delta equivalent).

The Canadian infantry takes pride in its foot patrolling capabilities. I'd image initial deep penetration by platoons and companies getting into far before the shooting begins to secure/raid targets like those mentioned.

We don't have any realistic vehicle replacement ability. What we have is basically all we get. Commanders would be taking this into consideration for their missions/tasks. On this point, looking at Afghanistan for example, we usually get all upset when 2 men lose their lives... I'd image minimizing casualties to be higher on the priority list than accomplishing the mission.

We don't have the manpower for complete urban occupation. They'd resort to controlled cordon&search operations, disarm/pacify it, then move on to the next neighborhood.

I would imagine Canada's biggest problem would be its reluctance to be a brutal opponent. I hesitate to use the word 'soft' to describe them. They won't bomb the hell out of anything except as a last resort. Limited amount of firepower and damage - use only what you need to get the mission done. While taking pains to ensure a low civilian casualty rate is a good thing, I'd image this might also be also a problem in dealing with guerrillas/insurgents. I mean on an exaggerated scale this would be similar to the ills the US is facing in Iraq. Course the flip side is when they are feeding you and trying not to kill you, you win over people.

Just some opinions.