View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comped View Post
And wouldn't there be a plan to find the SOH BEFORE 22 hours elapses?
Years since I've read Howling Wilderness so going from memory here but wasn't there a line somewhere about Munson being a stickler for his own privacy so no one knew where he was as an explanation for the delay? IIRC wasn't he on a skiing holiday in California or something? (That always struck me as odd...the World is going down the toilet and a senior American politician has the time to go on a skiing holiday...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by comped View Post
That still leaves the question of why GDW skipped so many people in the line of succession. Was that due to lack of research? Or was there something more to it that was left unpublished?
Personally, I don't think it was anything more or less than a plot device to justify the split between Milgov / Civgov. With a legitimate successor to the Presidency there is no justification for the schism between US Governments

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketenjagdpanzer View Post
Wait, 48% surviving? I thought the population loss was like 90% by 2000...
Pg234 of the V2.2 BYB states that total casualties in the US was 52% of the population (which obviously leaves 48% alive) It is explicitly stated that that figure is as correct as of July 2000 so includes subsequent deaths, not just direct casualties of the nuclear exchange. I'm not certain but I think you may be confusing T2K with T2K13 - I'm not as familiar with T2K13 but a 90% casualty figure for that work rings a bell.