View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 06:40 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh View Post
Hey Sgt-

Thanks for the info. My thinking on this had more to do with the abundance of ammo that might be available but also that there are probably a fair amount of .308 rifles out there. But given the popularity of 5.56 carbines, perhaps that's a wash.

The issue of weight and carrying capacity vs penetration. But what you are pointing out really puts a dent on .308. But they do seem to be growing in popularity in the civilian market.

So you stick with the 5.56? Would not go with a .308 or 7.62? I am thinking more 4th gen rules than 3rd gen.
Two things you want; a lot of bullets, and water.

Seven magazines for an M-14 (20x7) 140 rounds. Seven magazines for an M-16A2 (30x7) 210 rounds.

The M-14 does more damage, definitely. The thing is more ammunition is expended to force the other guy to keep his head down or flee then actually hit them. Suppressive fire.

I like the 7.62 NATO blasts through small trees, shatters brickwork, busts car engine blocks, the armor piercing ammo blows through soviet vests and penetrates 1/4 plate..... Lots to love.

I just focus the teams around 5.56mm and 9mm because of the abundance and magazine compatibility. I also revise the 20kg load to reflect the Team position. Absolutely no sense that a driver would be the Machine gunner and a mechanic carries a Dragon ATGM.

Last edited by ArmySGT.; 07-26-2014 at 12:35 PM.