View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester
I had a girlfreind who was a Nasty Guardsgirl...oh that sounds just so wrong.
And yet soooo right at the same time....

:P
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
The only thing we ever used dummy M-16s for in the Army was for bayonet training. In Basic they made the mistake of letting us use real M-16s on the Bayonet Obstacle Course -- so many were damaged the Battalion Commander reportedly chewed out the CO of our training company. I personally shattered my left handguard, troops were coming off the course with broken stocks, broken handguards, and bent barrels; one guy even had his pistol grip give way. I shudder to think what would have happened if sometime in my career I had ever gotten into a real bayonet fight...
Been there! In my experience M16s are nothing more than plastic toys designed to fall apart at the first sign of stress. Mind you the ones we were issued were at least 20 years old and seen service in the Vietnam era.
Most could be grasped by stock and butt and twisted, sights bent waaaay out of alignment and the odd bent barrel to boot. One of the battalions best shots once had to qualify with one and at 200 metres his sights had to be on the far right side of the target in the lane to his right, just so he could graze the left side of his own!

Give me a good solid L1A1 SLR any day. 7.62mm hitting power, a barrel that doesn't bend when the wind blows and strong enough to smash over an enemies head without disintergrating.

Makes a great hunting rifle too.

Kalos, if you're looking to improve your accuracy, there are several methods of "dry firing" that don't require a range, ammunition, or even a rifle! A broomstick with a couple of nails in it for sights, a wall, pencil and paper and a friend to mark your "shots" is all that's needed. Soviets trained their Olympic marksmen this way for years (although I think they might have actually used rifles rather than sticks)!