View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
Ummmmmm...the LAV-25 is definitely not a Stryker; they are based on only tangentially-related platforms, with the LAV-25 based on the LAV II and the Stryker based on the LAV III, and the Stryker being much heavier and...feature-rich.
Jane's Tank Reconition Guide 2006 (the latest addition I can find)
List the stryker as and i quote "stryker - a U.S. Army model of the LAV-25 with 8 variants in service"
LAV I,II,and III are not sepreate Units but upgrade packages to the LAV line (Light Armored Vehicle)
The "LAVIII Project" as it is called is a Canadian military, is a Project to upgrade its LAV-25A1s to LAV-25A2 (name changed to LAV-A2) status

LAV-25A2
Funding has been approved for continued upgrades to the LAV family to bring them up to the LAV-A2 standard. Phase I improvements include increased external and internal ballistic armor upgrades, improved fire suppression equipment, and upgrading the vehicle's suspension to the Generation II standard.[7] Phase II upgrades include replacing the turret hydraulics with an electric drive system and replacing the thermal sight with an improved model incorporating a laser range finder.

To reflect the improved significant survivability and capability enhancements occurring today, the LAV is being renamed as the LAV-A2. The LAV-A2 project involved developing and installing an internal and external ballistic protection upgrade package for the Light Armored Vehicles, an automatic fire suppression system for the interior of the vehicle and a Generation II suspension upgrade to support the added weight of the new armor. The suspension upgrade includes new struts/steering knuckles, torsion bars, shocks and mounts and drive shaft. The three-kit armor system provides the LAV with additional survivability against improvised explosive devices (IED) and direct-fire kinetic energy weapons.

The LAV-25A2 includes the Improved Thermal Sight System (ITSS) developed by Raytheon, scheduled for fielding by the end of 2007. The ITSS provides the gunner and commander with thermal images, an eye-safe laser range finder, a fire-control solution and far-target location target grid information.[8]

The new armor will provide protection from 14.5 mm armor-piercing rounds, and include an anti-spall lining on the inside to further protect crew members. It will be similar to the protection found on the U.S. Army's LAV III "Stryker" variant.

Last edited by Tnchi2a; 03-24-2015 at 06:14 AM.