View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnchi2a View Post
Jane's Tank Reconition Guide 2006 (the latest addition I can find)
List the stryker as and i quote "stryker - a U.S. Army model of the LAV-25 with 8 variants in service"
I think that is either an oversimplification or flat out incorrect. The Mowag Piranha evolution branched into 2 different paths: the LAV25 path and the LAV III path. Virtually everything I have read puts the Stryker as an extension of the LAVIII path as they share a common chassis.

Things like the LAV-25 being amphibious and maintaining its C-130 transport status (without a USAF waiver) would seem to reinforce serious differences, as these are traits not held by either the LAVIII nor the Stryker.

Edit.
This seems to cover the basics
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ground/lav.htm
with the lav-25 being GEN II and the Stryker being GEN III
Quote:
The GEN II has been designed and equipped with the capability, mobility, agility, and flexibility for operations in hot dry, hot humid, mild cold to cold climatic conditions and on highways, off road, cross-country, level and hilly unimproved roads, and urban environments. Its low silhouette makes it a difficult target to detect and destroy.

The GEN III configurations are newly designed LAVs from ground up. The chassis is longer and wider than the baseline vehicle. Higher capacity Power Pack, Driveline and Suspension have been introduced to provide more load carrying capacity.