Thread: Bards
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 12:29 PM

Default Entertainers...

A couple quick points:

1. Both DC and T:TNE (using the same mechanics) had an Entertainer career, with a skill for performing based off CHA. You could easily enough make it a cascade skill (Singer, Musician, Actor, Comedian, Physical Performance).

"Phyiscal Performance" is my catchall for dancer, juggler, stage magician, "performance artist" (Oh, I stick needles through my arms while hanging upside down in a red bikini).

i have not looked at the use of that skill in a while but that should give you enough mechanics to start you off, twist and adjust as needed.

2. Cyberpunk had Rocker as a character background or class (been a while since I looked at it), which included the ability to whip up or calm down a crowd.

3. The Scots for centuries used bagpipes to simultaneously incent their troops and terrify their enemies; the English (usually the target) thought them weapons of war - and were happy when Highlander regiments wanted to bring them along (after 1745).

And to use a variation a more recent example...

"At 0405 hrs, use the truck batteries on the amplifier, and cue the 20 piece orchestra. 40 measures into 'Ride of the Valkyries,' cue the mortars and then 10 bars later, we charge in from the west..."

"I turn the music on about a mile out. We use Wagner. It scares the sh*t out of the slopes. My boys love it!" - Col. Kilgore, Apocalypse Now

4. All services have bands (usually multiple), whose job it is is to perform at various functions as well as tour across the nation and foreign bases. Over the years, bands from the Army, Air Force and Navy have come through my little town to perform. These are formed of regular US military personnel who are talented musicians; if they do not do a splendid job, they may find themselves on a frigate in the Gulf, an infantry company in Afghanistan, or a radar station in Alaska.

You could use them as a large NPC group (see above) who can aid your party, or be in need of assistance. ("We're only lightly armed, unless you could our low brass section...")

5. While certainly bugles and drums can be used for signalling, I would not make their use dependent on musically talent, or at least make them an Easy task - the character just needs to make a recognizable pattern, not make men weep with Mess Call...

6. The Bard would certainly make a come back. Your party of strangers enters a town in East Poland or Western Colorado - and everyone looks at them with a jaundiced eye and one hand on their weapons. Whip out a guitar and sing some songs, and they relax a bit (hopefully you sing well enough). If nothing else, the townsfolk should be less suspicious of why you have come.

In medieval times, bards brought news as well as entertainment.

7. Bard sidekicks also have a long history. NPC bards can of course be used to goad players -

"Bravely bold Sir Robin
Rode forth from Camelot.
He was not afraid to die,
Oh brave Sir Robin.
He was not at all afraid
To be killed in nasty ways.
Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin."

or perhaps...

"Brave Sir Robin ran away. ("No!")
Bravely ran away away. ("I didn't!")
When danger reared it's ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled. ("no!")
Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about ("I didn't!")
And gallantly he chickened out.

(And then they ate Sir Robin's minstrels, and there was much rejoicing...)

Uncle Ted

Last edited by unkated; 03-30-2015 at 01:14 PM. Reason: additional points