View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 01:26 AM

Default rifle

I guess getting the closest possible to the rifle you will work with in the service is a prudent choice -if you consider this the main objective in training with it .

But the basics of marksmanship and the "second nature "feeling of confidence/ability to handle weapon safely/ about handling loaded weapons in all sorts of situations comes from long practice -regardless of make or model .

So I repeat that you should get a 200 dollar .22 semi auto and 800 dollars worth of .22 LR rather than a 1000 dollar rifle and 50 dollars worth of ammo.

(But I also hear that a hicap EBR -evil black rifle might be a good investment over there now ??hehe)

No doubt there are many finer weapons than the 10/22 .But until you get the money and maybe -the need for a better one - start of with something basic.Its accurate enough for starting up , and when I read that someone could get rounds for 5 cents here,my jelaousy flared up .That is plenty cheap .

And a .22 LR is a potent round -no doubt .Yes there are many that out -perform it .But not many that match the price and the negible recoil and wear on the gun .

The reason I recommend the 10/22 is its true and tested and functional operating system .Also its got a gazillion doohikeys to pimp it up .

In the end - if serious about shooting start up with the basics , and as in most things progress to what you feel like after some period of time .You could always sell your 10/22 when you feel the need to move on .

I got mine 10-12 years ago .Still havent sold it .Cant ever remember having a jam with the factory mags -although had a few misfires due to the ammo -AFTER it was chambered though .

Someone said "if it isnt accurate it isnt interesting " .That might be true for some -but imho its more like "if it isnt functional it isnt interesting".

The 10/22 could be used for self defense,for plinking,hunting,marksmanship training -although not the best in either category -it does do all of them.

No- I dont have a dealership for RUGER if someone wondered

If there was another start up rifle out there that could match its durability and versatility I would recommend that too.

Other than that -there are a few gunsmiths on the boards that can help you out .

Best of luck to you on the purchase.