View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 06:35 PM

Surstromming is a pickled fish in brine, sealed in containers and allowed to ferment. The process takes about six months. The resulting fermentation causes the tins to bulge, thus quite a bit of gas will escape once the cans are punctured, and it is believed to be one of the foulest-smelling things you will ever encounter with food. Supposedly so bad that there are rumored instances where firemen or other personnel have been called to residences on concern of a possible gas leak or a broken sewer line, only to learn that someone had simply opened a tin of surstromming. It is considered a culinary dish in Sweden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming

And here's a nice picture for ya:

And an even better one:

Look on the bright side though....if you can't eat it, you could probably utilized them as stink bombs against those pesky marauder forces....
"The use of force is always an answer to problems. Whether or not it's a satisfactory answer depends on a number of things, not least the personality of the person making the determination. Force isn't an attractive answer, though. I would not be true to myself or to the people I served with in 1970 if I did not make that realization clear."
— David Drake