View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 08:37 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

1 thing that has not been said with it comes to firing a known distance slow fire!

CONSISTANCY! Check to stock weld is the same place each time, trigger finger on the triger each and everytime, eye releif same same. Forehand gripping same place each time. That way your sight data is still good. If you hold your weapon differently each time it will afffect.

I mean, we were fanaticaly, right down to what we ate or drank the night before or even for breakfast.

As for the quick aquisition:

I would suggest you do one of 2 things then. Okay three,

Get a shotgun and take up skeet shooting. A single barrel to force you to be more accuate with that one shot, shooting a moving target on the fly and only having 1 shot will get you over the jitters and pause.

Timming yourself with multiple targets. Freinds and I would chrono one another going from the holster to hitting the target. Fastest time with most hits counted. My best time was about half a second, a freind was just under half a second.

Or, in the off hand, loading your weapon with 1 round, holding it at the low ready or another position I can't describe but we used alot. Then snapping it into the shoulder and firing on target. Again giving yourself say 5 seconds first and reducing the time as you get better.

I remember when I coached on the range and we did the rapid so many shooters would blow off all their rounds in under 10 seconds <10 rounds from 2 magazines> and miss their chance for what is called "A possible" which means all your rounds are on target and you get max points which is a good thing.

Start slow and build up, your skill and confidence.

I would also suggest practicing at ranging or gauging distance and wind direction and speed. And use natural things for this, grass, flags, clouds whatever is available.

And then you have the whole Kentucky windage which is something else.

Good luck!