View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
I have 24 A/MH-6s that are to be used during the first phase of recon and then shifted to be be scouting/liason/med-evac/gunship.
They are terrible in either a med-evac OR gunship role. They were designed as scout helicopters back in the day when the sensor package was the Mk I Eyeball.

Quote:
They have a few advantages IMO
  • Easier to fit into a bolthole
  • Lower Maintenance
  • Quiet (with fusion engines even more so)
  • Civilian airframe
    • Ease of Acquisition
    • Ability to stockpile spare parts without notice.
  • There is zero reason for boltholes to all be the same size. Indeed, the variety of team sizes and vehicles combined with environmental factors all but ensures that boltholes are all but unique.
  • How much lower maintenance? Given that the scaling of maintenance requirements in helicopters is primarily a function of the very same systems that get replaced by fusion in TMP, the difference in maintenance between a UH-60 and OH-6 is primarily going to be in the added mission systems in the former.
  • Fusion engines will kill some sound, but the Project's mission would not seem to make aircraft noise a particular issue.
  • Civilian airframe
    • If the Project can acquire all the other military assets it has, acquiring a few more helicopters would hardly seem an issue.
    • Many of the spare parts would not be stock anyway, but regardless, the former point still applies - if the Project can get V-150 (or whatever) parts and scads of 20mm ammo, then this would seem a minor point. On top of that, civilian parts do not generally reach MILSPEC performance even when they come from MILSPEC suppliers - relying on civilian parts is asking for something to fail when the feces hit the giant fan over your head.

Quote:
Other than some small drones, they are my only dispersed aviation assets.
Small drones are unsexy, but they make tremendous sense for field teams. They require minimal skill to use, risk little in their operation, and are perfectly acceptable for most tactical needs.

Last edited by cosmicfish; 05-26-2015 at 10:10 PM.