View Single Post
Old 05-30-2015, 01:54 AM
Registered Registrant

NOTE: This all makes perfect sense to me because I learnt it over the course of several lessons but I re-read my explanation and I'm not so sure it makes it clear. Anybody else who can offer a clearer explanation please feel free to jump in!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I should have also added that while modern MMGs tend to be around 8-9kg (18-20 lbs), GPMGs and MMGs from the 1960s-1990s period tend to be around 10-11kg (22-24 lbs). For example, the M60 in Australian service weighed 10.45kg (23 lbs) empty - 12.7kg (28 lbs) with a 100-rd belt loaded.

Ammo weights are typically as follows (I have given approximate weights because variations always occur due to different countries having different charge amounts, different powders used for the charge, different projectile weights etc. etc.)
100-rd linked belt 7.62mm NATO - approx 3.0kg (6.6 lbs)
200-rd linked belt 5.56mm NATO - approx 3.2kg (7.0 lbs)

As for the Mk-19, yeah it does have Indirect Fire capability because it fires a higher pressure 40mm grenade than your standard Infantry GL (e.g. M203, HK69, M79, CIS 40 GL etc. etc.). It fires a 40mm x 53mm round compared to the 40mm x 46mm round of the Infantry GLs.
From what I recall it has a direct fire range of 1400m and an indirect range of about 2000m.

So again, a lot comes down to what range you expect each unit to cover. The Infantry Platoon doesn't need to be lugging around 81mm mortars because they probably have weapons of sufficient range for the actions they undertake. The 81mm mortars are better suited to being in a unit that can transport them effectively and keep them from being too close to the frontline, they have enough range to allow this.

As a gross simplification, because you want your weapon capabilities to overlap but still be at their most effective minimum and maximum ranges, you organize the allocation in a layered distribution - you place the longer range weapons further to the rear while the shorter range weapons go closer to the frontline always keeping in mind where the maximum range of one weapon starts to overlap with the minimum range of the next. It's all about providing support to each unit while making use of each weapons particular strengths.