View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 03:01 AM

I don't know why I'm so depressed by this - I grew up through some of the worst years of the troubles, for the first 24 years of my life it was just the way things were here, and if asked I would have said that it didn't really affect my life. Now I'm not so sure. Possibly its because I'd got used to 'peace', or at least our local version of it, or maybe its because I have a daughter of my own and worry what the future will be for her. At least the politicians are united in condemning the attacks - even Sinn Fein are saying that its terrible and wrong. Hopefully sane heads will prevail and this can be stopped and seen as no more than a speed bump on the road to peace. As I've mentioned in the past on here, the people over here are by and large good, decent normal people who don't want a return to the troubles. The vast majority just want to live their lives as peacefully as they can. Stiff Little Fingers (a local punk band for those not familiar with them) summed it up well in "Each Dollar A Bullet" with the lyrics 'Well its lasted for so long now, and so many have died. Its such a part of my whole life, yet it leaves me mystified, how a people so intelligent, friendly, kind and brave can throw themselves so willingly into an open grave'

There are enough problems both globally and locally that this is one more thing that we really don't want. Sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense, but I'm mostly just typing random thoughts as the rattle through my brain. Mostly I'm trying not to think the last couple of days through too much - I'm not sure I want to come up with any conclusions just yet.

Bit more information on last nights murder. It seems to have been a classic 'come on' ambush. The police received a call from a distressed female who said her house was being attacked. Two police cars responded to the call and when they got out of their cars at the scene they were fired on. One officer was hit and killed. No details have been released about him yet, other than its believed that he was married with young kids. My deepest condolences to his family.

Again apologies to anyone that I'm upsetting by ranting about this. I find it helps me get my head round the situation by writing it down on here. If you're all fed up with my moaning by all means tell me to foxtrot oscar.