View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyT0001 View Post
Plot requirements. Literary license.
AKA lazy writing. Seriously, is there a reason why you would want to depict the planners as incompetent? And if not, why do it?

Quote:
Errant missile, earthquake? How cliché.
Nukes not hitting where the Project expected should be the single biggest cause of lost facilities, and I would think earthquakes and other natural (or nuke-triggered) disasters would be up there too. Cliché is better than lazy writing.

Quote:
Lightning struck the radio tower, overloading out the commo equipment and the command computer. 95% of the personnel died also but not the commander. Once the fusion power plant runs out of fuel, about 150 to 200 years after the war the emergency protocols circulate fresh air and wake the remaining personnel.
Radio towers are pretty well lightning-proofed already, it's pretty basic. And I am not sure why that would kill anyone, much less 95%.

Is there a reason PB2/Second Base needs to have survived at all? I mean, I suppose this whole discussion is a little academic if there is no chance to bring it into play, but is there a reason to create some convoluted reason why the base is intact but still sleeping? The simplest reason PB2 never took over would be because like a number of Morrow facilities it simply got hit in the first exchange.