View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 12:43 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
Why would PB1 have the ability to remotely shut off that switch, and even if they could why would PB1 do that? They WANT PB2 up pretty much as soon as possible. If PB2 exists, as soon as PB1 figured out that they were done for, the first thing they would have done was wake up PB2. Even if they didn't want it immediately (honestly can't think of a reason they wouldn't, but still) they would not have risked tampering with that failsafe, especially when rigging another solution on the fly!
PB1 is attacked by an unknown hostile with a nuclear weapon and a pretty advanced biowarfare weapon. This occurs within weeks of a cessation of major hostilities as each side has run out of nuclear weapons or the ability to target and launch them.

I would think that PB1 would not want to repeat that and chooses to implement the plan as intended with a 5 year wake up. Then plays dead hoping the attacker would assume the Project is finished right there.

The deadman switch is disabled as systems are offlined to present the appearance of the death of the Project and prevent PB2 froming coming online and attracting the same hostile attentions.

Quote:
I can agree with this to the extent that there are tasks that they are going to address that are not solved via radio. If it is just about command and control then PB1 can handle that more efficiently from a single location, but if it is also meant to provide the kind of logistic and personnel support PB1 offers then that makes sense. Of course that requires that PB2 be on the same scale as PB1!
Scale. PB1 can probable handle all the communications, cataloging, and directing the reconnaissance for the initial period with Regional bases supporting the Combined Groups in the field. As time passes and recovery efforts grow it will become to cumbersome for one major HQ to process it all in a timely manner. PB2 will take over half at some point likely 2-5 years after the start of the Project.

Meanwhile having the production facilities to produce new material for the consumed stores of a Regional or Delta base. Consumption models would all be based up conjecture and with the devastation of urban centers someplace is going to have to produce the tools and machinery to get those running once again.

Quote:
I don't get this. "A few hundred persons" is a pretty big group for a university staff even in my version of the game, and from what I recall you are running a pretty lean Project. I don't see why this wouldn't just be a secondary function of some of your already deployed Project personnel - they could be in Science and Recon teams or assigned to Project facilities, recalled to academic work only after their more urgent tasks had died down a bit. And under the original plan, waking up after 5 years there would be a good chance that a lot of people still existed who could be pressed into service for this job, since it requires neither Morrow-specific training nor Morrow-specific equipment.

Also, I don't see much overlap between the kind of people who would be good academics and the kind of people who you need to run a post-apocalyptic rescue and reconstruction effort! If I was running an Army division and my command staff was wiped out, I would grab staff from the subordinate brigades long before I would run to West Point and hand it over to the faculty! There might be a few who would be useful, but most would woefully ill-equipped for that kind of job. And if they were up to the task of running the Project, why not have them operational and tackling the toughest phase?
Missed the point. They are not frozen to be a part of the Project or the recovery phase. They are not even trained. They are civilian academics, probably the least likely to survive based on my limited personal experience of the species calling itself "Professor". I must profess.

They are awoken long after the Project personnel have been at the recovery and taken to areas that are doing well and become functioning societies again. These people would become the nucleus of higher education and probably some K-12 education too.