View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 07:04 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weswood
Cool. Thanks for the info. I've had some very basic training with demo, not nearly enough though.

On the C-4 question, I can see that it wouldn't explode due to no pressure, but a spark should ignite the C-4, correct? Would a chunck of burning C-4 provide enough gas to push the bullet down the barrel?

As far as making black powder or a directional mine, I have nothing specific in mind, just curious.
C4 will burn, but without pressure to boot, that's all it will do. (You can actually use a small chunk of C4 to heat up your rations.) That's why you need a blasting cap or something like that. A spark from something like a flintlock or even an inline won't even start C4 on fire. A wick might, but since it will just catch on fire (maybe), there's no real point for the purpose you have in mind.

As for a blackpowder mine -- they've been used throughout history, including by the Chinese as early as (IIRC) 300 AD. The Ninja of Japan used them; the Turks used them, various Arabic countries used them, and eventually they made their way to Europe. The Chinese and Ninja even had pressure detonators for them.

I don't know if one can make an improvised blackpowder directional mine, but with C4 it's easy. You just need a strong backplate, a bunch of metal fragments or rocks for the fragments of the mine, knead them into the C4, then wrap it in plastic or cloth and stick a blasting cap into it. Shove some sticks into the C4 at the bottom to make legs, or just prop it up on something. That's a trick the Viet Cong taught the US military, and I was taught that one in the Army (much later, of course).

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com

Last edited by pmulcahy11b; 03-12-2009 at 07:18 AM.