Thread: The Soo Locks
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig67 View Post
The elephant in the room in this thread is Isle Royale. A manned, resupply base. I've been wondering if this might be Prime II. Location is pretty good, more or less central in North America. The strange fact that they came out of freeze and then couldn't get off the island ? Who would put a supply base on an island and not give them boats ?

Yes I've read the stuff on Gary's site about the shore side facility, but really, why not put the boats on the island ?
Isle Royale is a horrible place for a covert base of any kind. As the entire island is a national park with no wheeled vehicles other than wheelchairs and the few tractors and jeeps used by the park service. Unless you are drilling directly into a cliff from the lake, all the land that is flat or is a reasonable harbor for ships has a ranger station or campground on it. There is no mining or lumber activity that you could use for cover. Unless Morrow completely co-opted the ranger service on Isle Royale, I am not sure how you would have made the base. You would fair much better building such a base on Drummond Island or Beaver Island and hiding the construction as a failed resort.