View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 10:13 PM

Okay, I'm going to try and not come across as a dickhead...but I don't understand why the fact of EOD using the Barrett and the practice of shooting rounds is still under debate? I am telling you, from a real-world, operational, first hand viewpoint, that it can and does happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester
As for EOD, I was looking into it kinda half assed am still. The MOS info goes on about sending some of their personl to sniper school. It could be a come on for recruitment or for filling other roles.
I had EOD guys in my Sniper School class in '97. I've seen them use the Barrett downrange, as well.

Quote:
Water charges: They again had a program on that on some channel the other day as well. Them dammned Canadians came up with it. Which blows the entire device to pieces using the force of the water that is non compressable. They showed alot of video of it, blowing 105 rounds all over as well as the contents of the tunk and the rest of the bombs. It was cool! <Basicaly a water claymore, using the water as a shaped charge.>
They're also valuable for document recovery from safes and breaching large metal doors.

Quote:
Robots, many of them at least in civi hands have shotguns. They used one to deliver a message to Randy Weave of Ruby Ridge Fame, he refused because the robot had the shotgun on it and per his Senate Testimony he was in fear for his life.
Most military EOD teams don't have these. Most likely they're at the EOD company-level and are brought out only when needed as EOD never seems to give a rat's ass about the guys out there on the cordon.

My platoon had to wait four hours one night when we found a cache of 306 assorted artillery rounds for EOD to make three trips with a tiny trailer instead of bringing out their one big trailer. Go figure.

Quote:
If one were to shoot specific components of a device you could damage it and prevent it from detonating. Especialy devices with electical components.
That's a technique. Generally you wouldn't want to do that with a device like that. At least, I never saw EOD do it. I can email my buddy that became an EOD platoon leader if you really want to know.

Quote:
I further suggest that rounds that are not fused will not explode with just a rifle shot. Comp B and C-4 are probably some of the more stable explosives out there and C-4 well it is used and abused by troops in the field with out any ill effects.
But rounds are not loaded with Comp B and C-4. TNT, White Phosphorus, Smoke, Concrete, all different kinds of things. Propellant. Primers. Fuzes. There are a lot of parts to a round that will detonate from a bullet impacting.

Quote:
I think if you can damage the mechanism without detonating the blasting cap/detonator then you can render the explosive safe. However most blasting caps or detoantors are a bit sensitive. So, a round hitting the thing is lible to set it off which would in turn set off the explosive.
This is the primary time that EOD uses the technique of shooting rounds. Rounds that have been armed and not detonated on impact, that is.