View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 03:45 AM

Let me preface the following by saying that I am aware that the initial topic of this thread related to whether grenades can be set off by being shot, but it has since expanded to include EOD and whether other forms of explosive can be detonated with a bullet. I know much more about civilian/commercial explosives than about grenades so this post is my contribution to the EOD side of the discussion (in that an IED could just as easily contain military ammunition components as commercial or home made explosives).

I think actual dynamite (ie a waxed cardboard tube containing sawdust soaked in nitroglycerine) is pretty much a thing of the distant past in the western world these days. Packaged emulsion explosives such as Powergel are the modern equivalent to a stick of dynamite and are much, much safer, have a longer shelf life and their manufacturing processes are less hazardous and require relatively cheap and simple ingredients.

For civilian applications such as mining the most common explosive these days is ANFO (Ammonium Nitrate and Fuel Oil) which can be quickly and easily mixed on site using its basic components (essentially urea fertiliser and diesel). Packaged emulsion explosives also have Ammonium Nitrate as a major component in the form of microscopic droplets suspended in oil, wax or paraffin fuel and stabilised with emulsifying agents. ANFO is a low explosive and relatively difficult to detonate under normal temperatures and pressures. A half a stick of Powergel will do nicely as a primer charge to detonate a 10kg bag of ANFO. The Powergel itself will need to be set off with a detonator. Shooting a bag of ANFO or a stick of Powergel will not result in an explosion.

Detonators (electric or percussive) commonly contain PETN which is a very energetic, fast burning high explosive and and is much easier to set off. Avoid subjecting detonators of any kind to sharp blows, electric shocks, high temperatures, pressure shock waves and being shot.

A final note on fuses and other means of activating detonators and blasting caps. I only know the basics when it comes to the various fusing methods and mechanisms employed in military ordnance but for civilian applications the most common types of fuses used to set off detonators are Igniter Safety Fuse Electric (ISFE) for electric detonators and either Safety Fuse (like in the movies where you light one end and it burns at a hopefully accurately predetermined speed) or Shock Tube (hollow plastic tubing lined with a fast burning chemical compound which transmits a shock wave to one or more blasting caps). Another option is to use Det Cord as "fuse, instant" as it can be set off with a single detonator and will set off primer charges such as Powergel) connected along its length.

ISFE is obviously immune to being activated by being shot but a bullet could cut the wire rendering it useless. Shock tube will not be set off by bullet strikes though again it could be severed. Safety fuse could possibly be set off by a bullet but would more likely simply be severed. A bullet hit could well set off det cord at the point of impact and would cause the det cord to detonate both back to where the initiating blasting cap is (bad for anybody in close proximity) and also down the line to any attached primer charges.