View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 08:45 PM

And another....and Goalie has a reunion with a former AF Academy Classmate who got away from Laughlin AFB (right near the Mexican Border) on Invasion Day:

335th TFS HQ, Sheppard AFB, TX: 1515 Hours Central War Time:

Major Matt Wiser went into the squadron office after getting out of his flight gear. He was looking for the the SIO, and found Capt. Darren “Sin” Licon coming out of his own office. “Sin,” the CO said. “I need to talk before the debrief.” He saw the expression on the Intel Officer's face. “And no, it's not to chew your ass. My office. Right now.”

“Yes, sir.” Licon said. He knew what was likely on the CO's mind. Namely, how had the F-20s shown up when they really weren't supposed to be in combat.

The CO nodded, then led him to his office. His Staff Sergeant Secretary nodded at the CO, and he said, “No calls, please.”

“Yes, sir.”

Major Wiser led his intel into the office and had him close the door. “All right, Darren. You talked to the F-20 guys? Mark tells me you did.”

“I did, Major, and asked them their advice. They have run into these guns before at Wichita and during PRAIRIE FIRE. They gave me three options.” Licon handed his CO a sheet. “Here's their advice on counters.”

Major Wiser took the sheet and scanned it. As he did, he let out a sigh. “Options one and two-letting the Army take them out, or do Maverick shots, those are good. But the third one-going in low with CBUs or unguided rockets? That sounds like a short road to suicide.”

“That was my thought, Boss,” Sin replied. “But they did suggest it.”

“Okay. Now....” the CO pointed a finger at his Intel. “Who suggested the mission?”

“Boss, I have no idea. I sure as hell didn't ask them to go. I left Clancy and Pruitt in that little office, and next thing I know, they're turning the F-20s over for combat.”

Major Wiser paused for a minute. “So....it was their idea, looks like.” It wasn't a question.

“It was, Boss. I talked to General Yeager after they left. General Olds, too. And it was Prada who reminded General Yeager of the no-combat order.” Licon told his CO.

“Colonel Brady authorized the mission?” Asked the Major. “That's what Mark said.”

“He did. And he was glad that General Yeager wasn't going.”

“Good. Because I do NOT want to hear from Sundown Cunningham, the Chief of Staff, General Dugan, or both, about me letting General Yeager fly an unauthorized mission.” Major Wiser said. And by the tone of voice, the Intel knew his CO was not a happy camper at that.

“Understood, Major. It's Frank we went packing for colder climes, not you.” Licon nodded.

“Smart boy,” Major Wiser nodded. “One other thing. It never occurred to anybody to go over to me-and I was preflighting Five-Twelve, mind-and let me know the F-20s were going out?”

“Sorry, sir. We, uh, were kind of excited, and well, with the chance General Yeager would go out..”

Major Wiser nodded again. “Say no more, and if I was a junior officer again, I'd probably be just as excited.” How long had it been since he'd been a brand-new First Lieutenant? Two years or two lifetimes, it seemed. “I'm not arguing with their success. Just don't like the fact I wasn't told before I left they were getting ready to go out.”

“Understood, sir.” Licon replied. He was glad that the CO was understanding, though he did know the CO had not been in a good mood a few minutes earlier.

“Good,” the Major said. “Have you debriefed the F-20 guys yet?”

“Not formally.”

“All right, then.” Major Wiser nodded. “You can talk to them, but after you get my flight out of the way.”

Licon smiled. “Yes, sir.”

“Then let's get it over with.”

In the classroom the CO's flight used as a briefing room, the rest of the flight was waiting, along with a guest: General Olds was there, talking with the crews, and he was getting an account of the day's happenings. When he called General Tanner, Olds fully intended to let him know about those guns, and see if the EW boys had an idea when the RWRs could be tweaked. Because right now, the only warning the F-4 crews had about those guns was the tracers coming up, and it might be too late.

The door opened, and the CO came in, followed by the Intel. “People,” Guru said. “Oops, sorry, General. Didn't expect to see you here.”

“Wanted to hear from you people firsthand,” Olds said. “I'll be talking to General Tanner, and he'll know about those guns. Supposedly, some are being tested at Nellis, but nothing's been passed down yet.”

“Well, sir,” Major Wiser said. “Hope you don't mind pulling up a chair. Before we get started, I'll say this, right now: Chances are pretty good probably half of us are alive because of those F-20 guys. Sin hasn't talked to them yet officially, but they're claiming six guns or SAM vehicles, and a pair of SA-11 tracks.” He paused, and saw the reaction of the crews. They were still surprised, even though the XO had told them after they landed. “So, we're buying for them tonight. Then Kara can fleece them,” and everyone laughed. “Let's get with it.”

They ran through the debrief, and Sin was taking notes. The fact that no one reported the basketball-sized tracers coming up was more proof that the F-20 guys had done what they said they did. “No missiles?”

“Other than shoulder-fired ones?” Sweaty asked. “No.” And heads nodded in the affirmative.

“Any fast-movers or choppers?”

“Didn't see any where we were,” Hoser said.

Dave Golen nodded. “I'll go along with that. Where are they?”

“Good question, Major,” General Olds said. “Intel?”

Sin shook his head. “Nothing definite, sir. They're out there, that we do know. Just be advised you can run into them anytime.”

Heads nodded at that. “Okay, Darren. Anything else?” Guru asked.

“Just be on the alert, sir, for those guns. Not much you can do until your EW systems get tweaked to pick up those radars. And I do have recommended counters.”

“And those are?” General Olds wanted to know.

“General, everyone,” Licon said. “First, get the FAC to have the Army go after them with tank or TOW fire. Their armor doesn't stand up to that kind of firepower. It may be on a tank chassis, but doesn't have tank armor.”

The CO nodded. “Noted, Darren. What's the next one?” He knew already, but for the flight's and the General's benefit, he asked again.

“The next suggestion is to do standoff shots with Maverick. The Maverick C and D-which we have, by the way, do outrange the 30-mm cannon, and probably the missiles, too, but that last bit of info is not definite. Still no word from China Lake on the missile tests, and I do have a query in to MAG-11's Intel people about that. After today, everybody's going to want more on those.”

“No kidding,” Kara replied. “Not every day we see a squadron CO go down, and two others in his flight with him.” She was referring to the loss of VMFA-134's CO and two other F-4s in his flight.

“I'll second that,” Sweaty said. “Any other advice?”

“Their third recommended counter is going in low, with either unguided rockets or CBUs, and taking them by surprise. The downside is, you guys are going in too low, and you're vulnerable to small-arms fire as well as machine guns and shoulder-fired missiles. And the guns you're going after,” Licon replied. “I may not be a pilot, but that's one piece of advice I wouldn't follow.”

Major Wiser looked at his intel, then shot a glance at General Olds. Both made eye contact, and nodded. “Then we'll ignore that one, as of now,” Guru said. “Anything else, Darren?”

“No, sir,” the Intel replied. “I'll talk to the F-20 guys.”

“Do that, and one more thing.”

“Boss,” the Intel asked.

“Let me know if they're going back out, or if they're planning to,” Guru told his Intel Officer. “Finding out they were in the air with us was a surprise.”

“General?” Major Wiser asked General Olds. “Anything to add?”

“No, Major, other than I agree with getting rid of the third option. That's a recipe for increasing your loss rate,” Olds replied.

“I agree, sir.” The CO looked at his flight. “All right, check your desks, get some food, because we're going back out in forty-five,” he told his crews.

After the debrief broke up, Major Wiser ran into his Ops Officer. “Don,” he nodded.

“Boss,” Van Loan said. “Got some good news. The two birds from Japan are in the pattern.”

That was good news, the CO knew. That would bring the squadron up to twenty-two aircraft. “Let's go see,” he told Van Loan. “Any change in us not keeping the crews?”

“No, and they would have told us,” the Ops Officer reminded him.

Guru sighed. Well, he had enough extra pilots and WSOs to form two new crews. “Then Kara gets to fleece them tonight.”

“They may be old friends,” Van Loan told his boss. “If they are, they know her tricks.”

“We'll see.”

A few minutes later, Guru, Goalie, Van Loan, and Sweaty were at the squadron's dispersal area, watching as the two new F-4s taxied in. One thing caught their eye at once: the paint job. “Euro One?” Guru asked. “When did that come down?”

“No idea,” Van Loan admitted. “Well have to ask.” One other thing occurred to the Ops Officer. “You going to see if any of 'em want to transfer?”

“It has occurred to me.”

When the CO and the others got to the two new aircraft, they found the crews talking with Capt. Kevin O'Donnell, the Squadron Maintenance Officer. “Kev,” Guru said. “These our new birds?”

“They are,” O'Donnell replied. “Here's the forms.” He added, handing the CO a clipboard with the forms that he would have to sign.

Guru scanned the forms, remembering a saying he'd learned as a History Major. “Be careful of what you sign. Just ask Neville Chamberlain.” He nodded, then signed for the aircraft. “Looks good to me. TIESO, AGM-65, ARN-101, updated EW systems?”

“That they have, sir,” the senior pilot, a captain, said. “Paul Brown, Major.”

“Captain,” Guru said. “You guys know why these two are in Euro One? Thought those birds went to the Pacific Northwest.”

“Major, two SEA birds went up there yesterday,” a female Captain with pilot's wings said. “They were ready before these two, and so...”

Guru nodded. “So they got sent up there, and we got birds originally meant for somebody else,” he said. He regarded the two pilots and their GIBs, who were male. “How long you all on the Ferry Run?”

“Got two months left,” the female pilot, whose nametag read Corinne Cassidy. “Then we go to the replacement pool.”

Goalie had been looking over one of the new birds when she heard that voice. It was familiar. “Corinne? Long time, no see!” She went over and hugged the newcomer. “Long time since Graduation Day.”

“Guess you two know each other,” Guru said. “Academy?”

Cassidy smiled. “Class of '82, Major. She went to Nav and C-130s, and I got flight and an IP slot at Laughlin.”

Goalie returned the smile. “Not just a classmate, but roomie,” Goalie said. “How'd you get out of Laughlin on Invasion Day?”

“That'd be worth hearing,” said Sweaty. “Another Day One perspective.”

“It would,” said Guru, ever the history major. “Okay, two things: first, you guys know you're going to have to RON?”

All four newcomers nodded. “We did pack, Major,” Brown said.

“And second, at the Club tonight? You'll see two Air Force legends, because both Robin Olds and Chuck Yeager are on base. And I take it since you are on the Ferry Run, you are familiar with one Kara Thrace? She's in my squadron, so be warned.”

All four nodded, then Captain Brown said, “We're well aware of her. Lost some money to her at one time or another.”

“And the beach party,” Cassidy added.

“You were there?” Goalie asked her old roommate.

“Fourteen-fifteen of us. All pissed off we weren't flying combat, so we had to blow off steam somehow.”

Guru winced. He had heard from Kara, slightly, mind, just how crazy that three-day weekend was. “How crazy was it, or do I want to know?”

“Major, do the words 'Multiple partner crazy' ring any bells?” Captain Cassidy asked.

“Say no more,” Guru said. “Don? Show our guests where they can flake out overnight, and then to the Club. You guys have one advantage over us in that regard.”

“What's that, Major?” Brown asked.

“Twelve-hour doesn't apply to you.”

As the CO and the other two went back to the squadron office, Goalie asked, “You want to recruit them for the squadron?”

“Might be a good idea,” Sweaty added. “We can use new talent.”

“I'll talk with Tenth Air Force,” Guru said. “And Chief Ross. He knows people in Officer Detailing.”

“Corinne's a good girl,” Goalie said. “I'd like to know how she got away from Laughlin on Day One.”

Guru nodded. “You're not the only one. Let's ask her tonight.”

When they got back to the office, General Olds was coming out. “Major, got some news for you, from General Tanner. Thought you'd like to hear it.”

“General, that may just make my day,” Major Wiser said. “What does he have for us?”

“Well, first of all, you people are definitely getting new Sparrows. First shipment of Fs arrives in a week. Earliest they can get here,” Olds said, and he could see grins on the faces of the Major and his people. “Best he can do.”

“Sir, that's great. Finally we'll have a BVR weapon that works,” Major Wiser smiled. “Well, most of the time.”

Goalie smiled as well. “Good to know, sir,”

“It is that,” Olds replied. “Second, you're getting some more -119 ECM pods. Enough to equip the rest of your squadron. Keep the old ones, though.”

“We'll do that, sir.” Major Wiser nodded. “Does General Tanner have any other news?”

“Just that your EW systems will be tweaked, and tech-reps will be coming to do that, but it's still two weeks away, minimum,” Olds said. He nodded at Goalie and Sweaty. “I need to talk to your CO for a moment.” Both nodded, sketched salutes, then went back into the building. “Major. I informed General Tanner of your mission proposal.”

Guru nodded. He and Goalie had been doing some planning for a mission that they hoped would give Ivan's Su-24 force a rude surprise. “Sir, what was General Tanner's response?”

General Olds grinned. “He'd like to hear from you and your GIB, Major,” Olds said. “Once those RAF guys get here and settled in, don't be surprised if you get a call to head to Nellis and brief him personally. Both of you.”

'Yes, sir,” Guru said. A trip to Nellis and a likely roomful of brass? If that's what it takes to get mission approval....

“All right,” Olds nodded. “You've got a mission coming, so you'd best get going. Good luck, and bring everyone back, Major.”

“Yes, sir, and thank you. Do my best on that last part.”

“All you can do, Major.”

Major Wiser went back into the office, and found both Goalie and Sweaty waiting. “Well?” Goalie asked.

“The two of us may be going to Nellis in a few weeks. Tanner wants a brief on that mission we've been planning,” Guru told his GIB.

“When?”

“After the RAF comes and gets settled in.” Guru said. He then checked the wall clock. 1545. Then the Exec came by, and in full flight gear. “Mark, getting set to go?”

“Yeah, and in case you're wondering? The F-20 guys are as well. They're turning their birds around right now.”

Lovely, the CO thought. “Colonel Brady authorize the mission?”

“I did, Major,” a voice came from behind him. It was the MAG-11 Commander. “Don't worry, Major. General Yeager's not going this time. If he was, I wouldn't authorize the mission.”

“Colonel, if you don't mind my saying this, but thank you,” Guru said. “Last thing any of us need is General Yeager going into combat.”

Colonel Brady nodded. “You're not the only one thinking that. NAF Argentia in Newfoundland is not good this time of year. Anyway, I'm getting ready to go back out myself. Today's been an 'all-hands' effort.”

“It sure has, Colonel.”

Brady looked at him. “You be careful, Major. Already lost one CO today. Don't want to lose another.”

“Will do, sir,” Guru replied.

Brady left the building, and Ellis turned to his CO. “Got to get going myself.”

“Okay, Mark. What are the F-20 guys going out with?”

“Two Sidewinders, one Sparrow-M, and full guns air-to-air, then two Mavericks and one Shrike air-to-ground, plus a centerline bag,” Ellis replied. That meant a centerline fuel tank.

Guru nodded. “All right. Whatever they drink in the Club? We're buying tonight because they saved a bunch of our asses today.” He paused. “Mark? Good luck, and be careful. Don't want to break in Don as Exec.”

“You too, Boss. Not ready to be CO just yet.”

Both shook hands. “Remember those counters for those guns,” Guru reminded his Exec.

“Will do,” Ellis said. Then he headed out.

Guru and Goalie then headed to the Ops Office, and found Don Van Loan wrapping up his paperwork. “Boss,” Van Loan said. “Getting ready to go.”

“You're out when?”

“In fifteen,” the Ops Officer replied. “Your birds will be ready in twenty.”

“All right. You be careful out there. Darren tell you about the counters for those guns?” The CO asked.

“He did.”

“Okay,” Guru nodded. He looked around, and saw Kara wasn't in the office. “You be careful, now. Still don't want to break in Kara as Ops Officer. Yet.”

The Ops Officer laughed. “And I'm not ready to be Exec. Will do, Boss.”

“Have a good one, and good luck.”

“You too, Boss.” Van Loan shook hands with the CO, then wen to inform his flight it was time to get ready.

Guru turned to his GIB. “Find Kara and everyone else. Tell everybody to get whatever they want inside their stomach and something to drink.”

“When are we going?” Goalie asked.

Guru said, “When our birds are ready. As soon as they're finished eating? We gear up.”

“Got you.” She headed off to round everyone up.

“Sweaty?” Guru nodded at his second element lead. “Find Sin and see if MAG-11's intel people gave him anything new.”

Sweaty nodded. “On my way.”

A few minutes later, Guru went to the locker room to gear up. When he came out, he found Goalie there, waiting, ready to go. “All set?”

“Last one of the day, and maybe we can show those young pups a thing or two,” she replied.

“Now you're talking.”

Pilot and GIB went outside, and found Sweaty coming over from the F-20 people at a run. She was geared up and ready, but had gone to find the Intel Officer. “Anything?” The CO asked.

“Boss, found Sin. He was with the F-20 guys. Nothing new on the guns, he said.”

“Had to ask, though,” Guru nodded. “Nothing we can do about that.”

They went to the dispersal area, and 512's revetment. They found the rest of the flight there, all geared up and ready. “People, last one of the day.”

“Anything new on those guns?” Kara asked.

“Nada. So....either the Army takes them out, or...”

“Or what?” Hoser asked.

The CO looked at Hoser. “Or Yeager's people do. They're getting ready to go out again.”

“What?” KT spat. “Those guys again?”

“Yep, and remember,” the CO told his people. “They saved our asses out there today, so keep that in mind. And by the looks of it, they know what they're doing.”

“Can't argue with that,” Dave Golen said.

“No. Okay, usual procedures on the radio, and remember, this may be the last one today, but treat it like it's the first. DO NOT get sloppy, people! I do not want to write any letters today. VMFA-134's new CO is probably busy doing just that, and I don't want to give him company. Comprende?”

Heads nodded. “Loud and clear, Major,” Kara replied.

“Good. Anything else?” Guru asked. He saw heads shake no. “All right: let's go get 'em. Time to hit it.” He clapped his hands.

The crews headed to their aircraft, and Guru and Goalie went to 512. They found it loaded with Rockeye CBUs for another antiarmor run, as expected. “Sergeant,” Guru asked his Crew Chief. “She's ready?”

Sergeant Crowley nodded. “Five-twelve's ready for you, Major. She's locked and cocked,” the crew chief replied. “Sir, if you don't mind my saying? Go out there and kick some Commie ass.”

“Do our best, Sergeant,” the CO replied as he and Goalie did their walk-around, then they mounted the aircraft. As they went through the cockpit preflight, Guru asked his GIB. “We had some F-20 air-to-ground action today. May get some air-to-air.”

“Haven't seen any MiGs or helos all day,” Goalie reminded him. “They may not show. Ejection Seats?”

“You never know,” he replied as he finished up the preflight. “Ejection seat armed top and bottom. Yours?”

“Same here. And you're right about that,” Goalie said. “Preflight checklist complete. We're ready for engine start.”

Guru gave the thumbs-up to his CC, who gave the “Start Engines” signal. First one, then both, J-79 engines were spun up, and as they warmed up, he noticed the Ops Officer's flight taking off. “There goes Don's people.”

“Hope they have a free ride.”

“Same here,” replied the CO. “Tower, Corvette Flight with six, requesting taxi and takeoff instructions.”

“Corvette Lead, Tower. Clear to taxi to Runway Three-three Lima. Hold prior to the active, and you are number two in line.”

“Roger, Tower,” Guru called. He gave the thumbs-up again to Sergeant Crowley, who signaled the ground crew to pull back the landing gear chocks. Then Crowley gave the “Taxi” signal, and Guru taxied 512 out of the revetment. After he cleared it, Crowley gave the CO salute, which both pilot and GIB returned.

Guru taxied to Runway 33W, and ahead of him were a Marine F-4 flight, from VMFA-333, then a flight of Marine Hornets, then it would be their turn. As they waited a C-130 came in to land on 33C, and a Navy A-7 flight went down 33R. Just another busy afternoon, though it was the last flight of the day, it sure didn't look it. Both flights ahead of him went, then it was their turn. He taxied to the holding area, where the armorers removed the weapon safeties. Then it was time. “Tower, Corvette Flight requesting taxi for takeoff.”

“Corvette Flight, Tower. Clear to taxi for takeoff. Winds are two-seven-zero for eight,” the Controller replied.

“Roger, Tower,” Guru replied. He taxied 512 into position, and Kara taxied 520 in right with him. He glanced over, and both Kara and Brainiac gave a thumbs-up. He and Goalie returned it, then ran through a final check. Time. “Ready?” Guru asked his GIB.

“Ready to rock,” Goalie said. “Canopy coming down.”

Both pilot and GIB pulled down and locked their canopies, and Guru saw that Kara and Brainiac had done the same in 520. “Tower, Corvette Flight requesting clear for takeoff.”

As usual, the Tower responded by flashing a green light. Clear for takeoff.

“Let's go,” Guru said. He ran the engines up to full power, released the brakes, and 512 rolled down the runway and into the air, with Kara's 520 right with him. Thirty seconds later, it was the turn of Sweaty and Hoser, and behind them, Dave Golen and Flossy. The flight met up at FL 100, then they headed for the Mineral Wells tanker track.

Old USMC Adage