View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsofian View Post
I don't fault the SEALs, I am just stating what seems obvious to me, THINGS GO WRONG. SoF teams can catch bullets just like everyone else.
I am not sure where this disagreement is coming from, nor why it has gone on so long.

SOF are selected from the best of the military and then given additional training, equipment, and other resources. The expectation is (and should be!) that they will outperform equivalently sized units and achieve parity against larger units (for some values of "larger"), often with improved performance for a particular mission profile. That they can and do fail should not be an issue - the best at ANYTHING still have failure rates, but it should be lower than conventional forces under similar circumstances. The traditional argument against SOF is that their improved performance does not justify the resources expended on them and the corresponding drain on conventional forces.

Your original question was how a special forces A-team would handle a Morrow team, and I think the there are several answers for the actions they might take. As for their odds of success, it depends on what you consider to be regular TMP training compared to SF.

In the case of Green Berets, they have gone through about a year of training above and beyond their prior military training (which definitely includes basic, usually includes infantry, and often includes Ranger training) just to qualify and receive extensive additional training both as individuals and as a unit. While a significant portion of this training addresses non-combat issues, a great deal of it does address combat. An A-Team may have a few new members but on average has significant experience, and it may be argued that a Snake Eater team would be selected to minimize or eliminate rookies.

For the Project, the implication has always been that members receive a relative minimum of combat training. Their primary mission is reconstruction, combat is at best secondary if not tertiary, and while canon lacks any real specifics it certainly looks as if their training is closer to Army Basic than any other military training. While any PD may decide to give the Teams more training, that assumption should be stated if you want others to consider it.

As to the idea of veterans in the Project Team coming from SOF, it would seem likely that any such veterans would be a substantial minority (just as they are in the military) and that their unusual capabilities would be reserved at some higher level for special purposes (just as in the military). A run-of-the-mill MARS team would be lucky to have a couple of guys who are Ranger-qualified, even a single SF vet would be truly remarkable. Even if we consider the absurd extreme where 75% of the team are not only veterans but actually SOF veterans, and where 50-75% of those were combat vets, then we still have maybe 4-6 Green Berets against an A-Team twice the size that has already had the chance to get acclimated.

And again, the idea that an A-Team would tear through a Morrow Team is not only sensible, but canon. The Ruins of Chicago already addressed this possibility, and made it clear that if the Team wanted to live they needed to tread lightly and use diplomacy, not bullets. While I disagree with many parts of canon, I see no reason to disagree with this.