View Single Post
Old 04-06-2018, 06:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
Do you have a source for that information? While I quite happily agree with you that if anyone would probably have a group of people with those skills, it would be Littlefield and his compatriots at his museum but I'd still like to read the source myself before accepting it as fact.
The shells were part of what was auctioned off when the collection was sold - all the shells they auctioned were either inert or practice rounds or dummy rounds - so if had live ammo it wasnt part of the auction for sure - have to see if I can find the print out on the auction I used to have - let me see when I get home tonight.

As to the machinists for the kind of conversion work that Swaghauler described - part of what he did to make the vehicles look authentic was to restore the rounds he had to look like they were ready to go live rounds to give that final bit of authenticity - you can see that in photos that have been posted over the years on flickr and other sites by people who went there. Thus if they can do that then its not much of a stretch to do the remaining work to make the shells live - what he would need is an explosives expert - and given his resources and ability to find technicians and restoration experts that wouldnt be that big an issue.