View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester
It can be done, it should be done and it can be done cost effectivly, the only real cost is the weapons mount, cheaply done, the weapons system a M2 .50 goes for about $5k per unit, add initial training of another 1 to 5 K per man, and then annual or biannual qualification less than $1k with 2 mounts per vessel, to give a decent amount of coverage the cost is less than 50k for the all gun crews and weapons systems for a year. That is alot less than what they spend on fuel bipassing the region.
In many cases the hijackings occur stealthfully. They side up to the vessel at night and board. There's nothing a mounted weapon would prevent in these common cases. As well, pirates would now be armed with captured mounted 50s... which is a little more than the AKs they have now.

Armed ships? A lot of nations have regulations about armed vessels entering their ports. That's going to be a big international headache to have to sort out.

Inadvertent killings? A US navy ship killed an Egyptian a few months ago because he was trying to get his speedboat close enough to sell cigarettes. Its common practice in that area it seems. Who's to say the boat approaching are pirates if they are not shooting or openly wielding weapons? I have my doubts that the gunners can pull this off in a sea chock full of small boats without killing some innocent fisherman.

I just don't think the solution is as simple as mounting weaponry.