Thread: Petrol Storage
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2019, 07:33 PM
Registered Registrant

Humidity is the big killer for petro-fuels, being hygroscopic they want to absorb water. From what I understand (and that ain't saying much!), colder weather is certainly helpful but humidity is more of a problem than temperature (except for extremes of hot weather).
I vaguely recall some account of fuel stored in Antarctic or Arctic (can't remember which) research stations, that lasted well beyond it's normal lifetime - specifically because of the very low humidity level in that part of the world rather than being due to the colder weather.

Like Legbreaker, I've had petrol last longer than expected. I have a slow growing lawn that gets the lawnmower once every 6-8 weeks so I have petrol sitting in a Jerrycan for anything up to half a year or more without problems. But aside from lower humidity where I live for most of the year, I suspect the fuel blend and also volume in storage plays a part as well (although again, I'll profess my ignorance and say these are just a guesses on my part rather than any real knowledge).