Thread: Semi-Skills
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post

That's a valid point. I still think that "great difficulty" might be a bit of an overstatement, though. In more recent times, Israeli tankers were turning captured T-54/55/62s around fairly quickly, and I'm pretty sure the labels weren't in Hebrew. Back to my original illustration, German tank systems in WW2 were notoriously complex at that time, and illiterate Russian peasant conscripts could still figure them out and make them work.

If we're talking current AFVs with stuff like Blue Force Tracker and whatnot, then you're probably right, but the operating principles and hardware of an M1A1 and a T-80, c. 1996, aren't that radically different.

I'll concede the point to use as another argument for the application of the Cascade Skill concept. For example, if a PC is an M1A1 gunner, he/she would be able to operate other NATO tank main guns at 3/4 base skill level, and WTO tank guns at 1/2, or something like that.
I am not sure if "great difficulty" would apply or not, but as a former 19K (M1 Crewman) I think that I would have some difficulty with other AFV's tell had some time on them. When I was first introduced to the Bradley it was a very interesting time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
But you've operated both, IRL, correct? If so, you're speaking as someone who already has experience and competence/confidence. For someone who does not, I politely disagree. For a novice, loading a belt-fed weapon for the first time might be a bit tricky. I've seen it done (in movies and videos) and it looks a bit more complicated than slapping home a magazine. I could probably figure it out, but I'd hate to do so under fire.
I think you hit this on the head, I have been a life long shooter starting as a child training under my father, then during my time in the military I had lots of trigger time with pistols, SMG's, rifles, LMG's, HMG, and even vehicle mounted weapons. After the military I became a federal police officer serving on a couple different tactical teams and was a firearm instructor. The one weapon that I had the most difficulty with was the shotgun as it was something that I never really used tell I became a LEO, and even then it was at best a secondary. So even someone who had lots of trigger time, and more than a bit of training. I was still able to mess myself up, when I was at FLETC going through the firearms trainer course on of the drills was to speed load the shotgun from rounds in our pocket, I put one in the tube backwards and jammed up the entire system. Now when we were running the drill I just transited to my pistol and finished the drill with out much time lost (here was where training came in), and then fixed it after the drill (had to completely disassemble the weapon)
and could see how someone who either only had the one weapon, and/or less training could have had a very bad day.