View Single Post
Old 06-24-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee View Post
Compass Games is reprinting two good games from the 1980s:

NATO, originally from Victory Games- covers Austria (some) to Denmark (some), East & West Germany and a bit west of the Rhine. Division and brigade/regiment counters, abstract airpower. The original maps were pretty clean-- roads and rails are abstracted out, leaving cities and terrain features. Three scenarios originally, based on levels of NATO surprise and/or preparedness. IMO, this played like a standard wargame.
Having done a playtest against the designer? I can tell you, you're in for a treat. It's not your daddy's NATO. I tried to play it that way, and I got my clock cleaned. It's meatier, faster, and damned LETHAL.

Quote:
Third World War series from GDW- originally a four-game series, now in one box. Covers all of Scandinavia (options for Sweden & Finland), western Europe (new box said to include most Poland), all of Italy and the Balkan peninsula, western Turkey, all in contiguous maps. Also, eastern Turkey (not linked to above), Iraq, Iran, and Kuwait, and pieces of Saudi, Syria, and Afghanistan in a separate map set. Also divisions & brigades/regiments, aircraft are lumped into counters of 100 or so. Maps are also "clean", as NATO. This series features a unique sequence of play, levels of unit proficiency that double as hit points-- highly skilled units are hard to kill. Soviet/Pact doctrinal rigidity is enforced by the stacking rules and SoP, and I really liked that. A few alternate scenarios, based on entry of neutrals into play, or some Balkan states trying to get out of NATO or the WP, or where the Soviet Reserve Front deploys. IMO, this was a lot more fun & realistic-feeling. This game cemented my opinion that Frank Chadwick is my favorite game designer; GDW were already my favorite publisher.
I am looking forward to this as well, but I was a little sad to hear Chadwick had not updated the OOB to match recent data. Ah well, if the new rulebook still has the conversion data..we can do it ourselves!

Some other news on this front, take a look at Adam Starkweather's "The Doomsday Project - Episode 1, Battle for Germany." (also from Compass Games) It's just plain awesome looking, has a lot of chrome, and I will be playtesting it with the designer soon. I am reading the rules now. What will I say? When this game comes out, you're in for a treat.

Link to the game is here: https://www.compassgames.com/the-doo...r-germany.html

Not to mention kiddies? Bruce Maxwell is re-releasing through Compass Games his magnum opus. Air and Armor is coming back through Compass Games!

https://www.compassgames.com/air-arm...e-edition.html

Yeah, they may be my new GDW along with Free League....Oh wallet, please forgive me.

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).