View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 07:41 PM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Argument: Nothing could get through a carrier's Aegis AA screen.

Evidence For: Defense industry and DOD claims. Result of simulations & exercises.

Evidence Against: In 1987, an Aegis cruiser mistook an Iranian Airbus for an attack fighter and shot it down. Clearly, the system is not perfect. Arguments that Aegis will be able to detect, target, and hit every supersonic SSM swarming a CAG from multiple directions of attack is simply wishful thinking.
What about the Soviet Navy Failing to achieve a significant Navy break out into the Atlantic.

General Omar Bradley said "Amateurs talk about strategy. Professionals talk logistics." So let look at the Soviet Navy.

The Soviet Navy's organizational structure was divided into four major fleets: the Northern, Pacific, Black Sea, and Baltic Fleets, which were under the separate command was the Leningrad Naval Base. In addition, Soviet Navy had a smaller fleet, Caspian Flotilla, operated in the Caspian Sea and followed by a larger fleet, 5th Squadron, in the Middle East.

So how many of these ports are where their ships can come and go with harassment or surveillance while they attempt to break out into the major ocean?

The answer is only the Caspian Sea due to fact that its is an inland sea with access to to baltic via Lenin Volga–Don Shipping Canal. The rest are all within striking point major US/NATO allies, both the Northern and Baltic Fleets would have travel through the Greenland to Iceland or Iceland to UK Gaps.

NATO know this and good idea of ASW assets. Now how hard to do you think it's going to be or Naval assets to break out and continue to operate and return to port to resupply and repair and refuel (if needed)? NATO has many more bases to operate and resupply in the Atlantic.

Also in the Atlantic where is the priority for submarines? You going to sink a Carrier or Convoys?

Also what the whats the state of Soviet Navy Given is earlier war with China?

Given this would you not agree the US and NATO will have unrestricted movement in the Atlantic? Dose mean an easy victor? no it means force projection, which is the right assets where they are need. The Soviets can't do this do to their long line of communications and logistics.

While the Soviet due have a Cuba, you have get through major US/NATO surfaces groups and get pass the Sound Surveillance System (SOSUS) which in 1961 detected a Soviet nuclear submarine west of Norway coming into the Atlantic through the Greenland-Iceland-United Kingdom (GIUK) gap.

https://www.public.navy.mil/subfor/u...e_25/sosus.htm

As a base Cuba is subject to major US attacks and is location in Caribbean does not make a great base due it being close to the us and its distance from Halifax NS (NATO's major Convoy departure point for Europe).