Thread: Yugoslavia
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 06:57 AM
Banned

I am betting the units got there pretty much undisturbed - as said before the US Army Sourcebook was pretty clear on who got nailed on the way and who didnt

and if the 42nd got sent there in Oct 98 with limited spares and fuel its pretty easy to see why they are down to 6 operational tanks by June 2000 - i.e. combat + breakdowns+lack of spares+lack of fuel+lack of kits to convert them over to alcohol (they arent in contact with the Milgov forces that have been doing this for two years in Germany and Poland)+overall lack of support = recipe to reduce number of tanks - especially over 21 months of combat and use

If they had arrived in late 1999 then I would say it was due to losing a ship or two for sure

Also all three divisions went by sea - if you look at the US Army Sourcebook if they went by air and sea or air alone it was made clear - all three of the Yugoslavia divisions went by sea alone

Also if you look the divisions that took hits from Soviet raiders or air on the way over all went over in 97 - i.e. by 98 of the five units that deployed by sea the only one mentioning Soviet raiders or air attacks is the 6th Marine going to Korea and that was in early 98

Last edited by Olefin; 08-18-2020 at 09:17 AM.