View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 04:25 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehale1971
i'll add an additional fireteam to each section... i had through that the section leader, medic, RTO, desingated marksman and forward observer could act easliy as a fireteam. i didn't realize that wasn't possible. But thank you for lettnig me know... i'll take care of that asap!
The section leader (as you put it; the more correct term is squad leader -- sections as units are primarily used in heavy mortar platoons and for add-ons like machinegun teams) is basically just another part of the squad; he sort of moves between the fireteams as needed). The RTO is also just another squad member, usually one of the riflemen. The designated marksman is also just part of the squad, typically the rifleman who is the best shot in the squad. Medics are farmed out from the BN Aid Station; if a platoon expects to see heavy action, they may have as many as three; but they are generally some of the hardest-working troops in the battalion when in combat, as there are more squads in a rifle battalion then medics. Having a real FIST (FO team) with you is a luxury in practice; you're more likely to have one or more of the platoon members (usually the platoon sergeants and platoon leaders) who know how to call for fire. If you have a platoon member who knows how to properly direct an air strike or naval gunfire, you've really lucked out.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com