View Single Post
Old 06-05-2021, 05:50 PM

God help the company that bases anything they do on a poll of 50 people (who strongly exhibit a particular bias), that's the last I'll say on that.

To answer the question: I found out about FL's T2K acquisition around the same time I happened to be dusting off my old T2K books I found on the shelf anyway. It was the perfect timing. I was playing and enjoying another FL game at the time, but was considering running a T2K game with some of my military-minded friends.

The setting of the new edition lacks a bit of the detail and specificity of the old one, so far as some military aspects go. It's also a far cleaner system (as you might expect, with three decades of advancement to its advantage). I own all of the GDW editions (sorry, Tegyrius!) and, well, I don't find any of them particularly elegant or easy to run.

So as for what I plan to do/have been doing for months now: run a T2K game using a new, fairly elegant and easy to run system that also draws on all the resources and knowledge I have from 1st and 2nd editions. It's pretty ideal, really. The details I've thought they got wrong, I've changed or fixed. The systems I've felt aren't detailed enough, I've added on to a bit. It's ten times easier to add complexity to an elegant system than it is to find elegance in a complex one.

But I also can't remember a time I ran any game exactly RAW or in its 100% official setting. I call on external resources wherever I can find them. I use the 2.2 encounter generator. I use perchance tables. I use oracles inspired by Ironsworn (and hey, look what they did -- signed its creator to create similar material). I use 1st edition's motivation generator (and hey, look what they did -- implemented it in 4th edition). I'm currently finding the default day-by-day system of time and resource management tiresome, when you have to use it all the time, so I'm writing a system derived from Band of Blades that will generate missions at a higher level.

This is all stuff I assumed most if not all GMs did. Maybe I only talk to the ones who are also designers.