Thread: Ad Hoc AFVs
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2022, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
Depot-level overhauls would give vehicles a Wear Value of 1. A vehicle coming out of 3rd echelon repair (which would be 2LT Avery's vehicle) would have a Wear Value of 2-4, depending how extensive the repairs were able to be carried out. (If there's burn marks and bloodstains, there would have been at least one penetrating hit on the vehicle, which would tend to raise the Wear Value.)

3rd-Echelon Maintenance is a Division-level asset, which means it is in the extreme rear of the Division's AOR, and well-protected.
Thanks! I was thinking of hull/turret rebuilds and armor package maintenance similar to what was done at Mainz or Anniston. Definitely agree they’d be wear value 1 coming out of that. I don’t imagine that pipeline lasted much beyond 1997, although some hulks may have been shipped back in time to be rebuilt and returned.

I wonder how often you’d get turret “a” mated to hull “b” as 3d shop tries to regenerate combat power. Corps and higher units may maintain semi permanent cannibalization yards of deadlined vehicles just to enable the stripping and salvage of spares to assemble new runners. If 21st TAACOM still has capacity post 97 they could very easily become the lead for a USAREUR regeneration and rebuild program using their surviving facilities to repair as much salvage as possible within their capabilities.

Last edited by Homer; 01-20-2022 at 09:58 PM.