View Single Post
Old 05-26-2022, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico20854 View Post
I BS'd that as part of an attempt to get each of at least the primarily active-duty corps an aviation brigade. (GDW's assignment of 6 ACCB and 18th Avn Bde gave XVIII Airborne Corps two and left none for III Corps).
I noticed the III Corps conundrum as well. I took a slightly different approach Instead of making up units I looked at the history of the Aviation Branch and saw three of the Aviation Groups (11, 12 and 17) from the Vietnam era were already being used as Aviation Brigades. Another was being used by Spec Ops(160). Leaving three (16, 164 and 165) plus the group (15) in Europe at that time.
The 21ACCB is interesting in that it had no history but does have a cool patch. It was designated as such because of Force XXI.
It had two distinct missions
- Fielding of Apaches and Kiowa Warriors to both Active and Reserves. I assumed they would field Comanches as well.
- Provide support to the Department of State and Department of Defense for Foreign Military Sales and Security Assistance. The United States worked to supply Apache technology and aircraft to several allies.
A third was added during the GWOT and was to assist Aviation units prepping for deployment.

Given those items I felt it wouldnt be activated as a line unit until later in the war and would allow for more diversity during the Mexican invasion like the British/German Brigade in Canada. What is a Mexican invasion without the Dutch?

I agree as the war goes on Aviation units will be less plentiful. Early Corps would have full Bde then it would trickle to down to Corps just having an Aviation Group or maybe a Battalion if even that. My assumption is that you wont see alot new Apache/Blackhawk units after a certain point early in the war as whatever production would be used as war replacements but you might see units containing MD500s/AH-6s or other helicopters but even those fade away too. At some point new aviation units are formed from existing civilian helicopter like news choppers, air ambulances, tourist helicopters, etc. Whatever they can get a hold of.

One other note. The 166 Aviation Group/Bde was a USAR Aviation Group stationed at Illesheim and subordinate to the 11th Aviation Brigade during the late 80s early 90s. Not sure whether it was the Attack or Assault Group for the Brigade.

I'm probably just cranky recovering from surgery. I'll go back to waiting for the next episode instead of nitpicking.