View Single Post
Old 09-12-2022, 04:02 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer View Post
There were always some head scratchers in cannon. Like the absence of the 29th ID(L), 2 ID stationed at Cam Ranh Bay in the 2E American CVG, and the presence of a TX NG (3-143 IN) battalion in 5 ID(M).

I’ve chalked part of it up to the increased difficulty of getting information pre-internet, and partly to trying to project a plausible scenario without getting to a situation approximating “The Road”.
The 29th wasn't formed at the time they were publishing. Two of the brigades are in the 46th ID... one of the head-scratchers of forming new divisions out of independent National Guard brigades! There a bunch of others, like the timing of the TDM, were SAC bases targeted or not, a lot of the backstory in RDF Sourcebook re:Israel and Syria and more...

Given what they had to work with, however, I applaud what they got out. The amount of material that has appeared online since the collapse of the Berlin Wall, machine translation and the passage of time have given us the luxury of being able to see what they got right and got wrong!
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...