View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 10:12 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
Jest

I always found Deliverance to be a good inspiration for T2K but never ran into that kind of situation.

I would have loved to explore bunkers but these had all been cleaned out when I was a kid. I feel envy when my mother explains me that she was playing with MG-34, Mausers and the like. Why are authorities always caring about security, overseeing fun.

Don't show this to my kids.
Well, there were caves when we were stationed in Okinawa where such things were found, usualy ones that had been sealed durring the war and would be opened buy a landslide, however, they smelled of fire and death and most items inside were ruined, really an unpleasant place to be.

But, yes I totaly agree with you and I think that is why I got into archeology. I was thinking of that as my major in college, however, as cool and interesting as it is, its not something you can really live on.

But I have maintained my interest in it still. One thing I still do although not as much as of late is ghost towns and abanonded mines, old camps from the days of the gold rushes, logging in the moutnains, and settlers as they moved west. As well as the other link, abandoned places. Like the coastal artillery post. They turned one portion into a museum, and left the others to their fate, the museum one is Ft. MacArthur, google is. But, those are just some of the things in this city, there were three or four Nike Zuess missile batteries in the Los Angeles area in addition to the command center and batter, and a few others up the coast and in the hills, as well as Orange County. But, there were also other places that had been avbandoned, a cave below the Marineland water park, that was filled with the debriss of a pier that had been destroyed durring a storm in the 20s and it all washed into this cave. The odd shipwreck, which when I started diving got me into wreck diving.

Localy in Riverside, they have an old aquaduct litteral behind my back fence from when they used to have an orange groves here. There is an abandoned facility of some sort in the field down the road, then an abandoned airstrip and shooting club from the 1930s when hollywood types would fly out here to go to the shoot club. Further the Santa Anna River is my backyard, it used to be a trail, but now they paced it into a bike way that goes almost from the mountains to the sea, and there are a few bridges that colapsed 50 or so years ago, but their pilings and foundations are still there.

And then in the hills where I go hiking again we have old cabins, a lodge ansd their debris, all or most especialy the ones higher up are more ruins than anything. Some would say fire, but having seen them durring winter, its more likely snow that caused the roof to colapse. But, it is cool to explore into their basements, you never know what you find.

As I said however, I am more partial to the ghosttowns, mining and timber camps and facilities.