View Single Post
Old 02-28-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
This, sorta...

Every system on a boat undergoes Preventative Maintenance System checks. These are done daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, semiannually, annually for routine maintenance. Most systems also are logged every hour when in operation and most failures will not prevent the boat from operating.

MTBF is extremely high in comparison to a tank or a truck because, once underway, most of the time, systems reach a steady-state operating condition.

I would adopt a "if you shut it down and then restart it, you need to check for failure" mode of dealing with maintenance. Major systems: engine room stuff, navigation, communications, torpedo tubes, sonar, steering and diving, and bug juice dispenser. Assume the autodog is always broken.
Thanks for the correction. I think your idea for maintenance rolls makes more sense. If I were running a game with a submarine I think I'd hand wave the maintenance portion as it's either non-game busywork for the players or a game stopping problem if they lack the skills or fail enough rolls.