View Single Post
Old 03-29-2023, 07:19 AM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash View Post
My second question is one of doctrine. It seems like in Pact armies RPGs were handed out like candy down to the platoon level. How is/was the situation in NATO armies? Assuming a platoon/squad in Europe at "Good luck you're on your own" was fully kitted out, what would their M72/M136 supply look like? Would just weapons squads have them or would you see rifle squads carrying a few?

Would a rifle squad instead have M79/M203s to deal with emplacements and such?
In the US Army, the disposable anti-tank weapons (LAW and AT-4) were considered items of ammunition, like hand grenades, and issued according as part of each unit's "basic load", an allocation based on a mix of factors - budget, anticipated mission/threat, available transport, etc. They do not appear on an unit's MTOE (modified table of organization and equipment) and vary from unit to unit, although similar type units would bear a strong resemblance to each other (i.e. a light infantry company with a planned deployment to Korea's basic load would look a lot more like a light infantry company headed to CENTCOM's than it would to a motor transport company in the first company's division). I found reference to LAWs being issued on the basis of 27 per infantry company in the 1960s but by the 90s that probably changed radically. Declassified planning documents describe a goal of 74,000 AT-4s in Europe, 55,000 in Southwest Asia and none in the Pacific for 1992.

M203s (M79s had been retired even from the National Guard by the 90s), on the other hand, were issued two per infantry squad and scattered elsewhere throughout the Army. Assigned dedicated anti-tank weapons were M72 Dragon/Javelin at company-level and TOW at battalion level (plus the TOWs mounted on the Bradleys, of course). By the 80s the LAW was acknowledged as insufficient for anti-tank use, instead being cast as an anti-bunker/BMP system and a last-ditch close-range AT weapon for use from the side/rear.

As for what a unit stepping off on the 2000 summer offensive in Europe would have? Lord knows, it could be anything from any European nation. The production lines for AT-4/LAW would have been shut down for over two years, so the number available would be whatever the GM decides is appropriate...
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...